Reviewed: Annie Sloan Paints… and a dresser makeover

Apologies for the delay today readers. I’ve got one or two things going on at the moment and this weekend so I’m leaving you with this post until Monday when we’ll be back as usual. 🙂 I’ve got a little DIY before and after that I’ve been waiting to photograph in the light for ages. I hope you like it!

When we bought our house we also made a donation to charity in exchange for three pieces of furniture. An Edwardian gentlemans wardrobe, a modern bathroom cabinet and this little dresser. It was in a bedroom when we bought it, but I decided it would be great in the kitchen and would provide much needed extra storage. I decided to paint it grey (my planned kitchen shade and general favourite colour) and add some quirky Anthropologie knobs for a fun touch.

I decided to use Annie Sloan paint (in Paris Grey) as I tried it at the Ruby Rhino workshop with Hannah that I attended last summer and it’s famous for requiring no sanding or priming – just slap it on and it covers all manner of sins… more on that in a moment.

First of all I sanded the top and drawer fronts of the dresser with a DeWalt detail sander (thanks to Alice for the recommendation on that!) to remove the brown varnish and reveal the paler underlying wood for a rustic hand-finished look.

Next I taped off the mirror edges and the top panel and started painting.

So onto the paint. I’ll be honest, it was probably the most difficult paint I have ever used to work with! (I would normally choose an eggshell with a coat of primer underneath on a project like this.) It’s tremendously thick and dries extremely fast so it’s very hard not to get brush marks in your work. I later chatted with Hannah and she reminded me you can water it down and I would definitely do the same next time – to the consistency of double cream. After the second coat I ended up sanding a couple of more ridged area’s before applying the wax. You can leave it unwaxed for a chalky finish but I wanted to seal it as the chalk finish tends to scuff. You first smooth the wax on, then buff it off until smooth with a separate cloth.

I waxed the top and drawers too which brought the wood out in a lovely rich sheen, slightly darker than the very pale sanded finish but quite similar.

I chose a selection of woodland inspired knobs from Anthropolgie to continue the rustic theme and voila, a made-over dresser!

Have you got any pieces of furniture you’re thinking of making over or updating? I’m always looking for projects like this to feature, so do send them in to 🙂


Bedroom updates

A few months back, before I even started thinking about the spare bedroom makeover, I revamped our bedroom. We re-decorated in there about 3 years ago now and chose some white striped wallpaper, keeping the existing high gloss Ikea wardrobes, Ikea bedsides and our iron Feather & Black bed. I wanted it all very soft a soothing so chose White Company bedding in white with a grey and white silk throw and mink and grey cushions using texture to provide contrast.

Typically, it wasn’t long before I tired of the monotone look and decided to add to the single shot of colour in the lamp shades with some small additions and it’s amazing what a difference they have made.

The inspiration for the change around was the new picture above the bed. I blogged it and bought it not long after – I love how bright and cheerful it is.

I also changed the drawer handles on the bedsides for coral ceramic ones from Anthropologie.

We already had these butterfly pictures up but had different colour combinations (We had had a large white one above the bed too,) as they come in a pack of 6 (see similar here). To pick out the lamp shades we had had two yellowy butterflies there previously, but as the large white one was now gone from above the bed we used the smaller one and a blue one, simply switching them from the hall where the rest are going up our stairs. In fact it worked well as the yellows work beautifully with the yellow Cow Parsley wallpaper we have in the hall.

In fact, since taking these, the bedroom has changed again, as we finally found a chest of drawers to add to our lack of storage in there. I also realised I didn’t take any of the other end of the room so maybe I’ll share another update soon.

Hope you like it readers!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...