Today’s Spring series covers one of those pesky little maintenance tasks you need to do to get in shape for summer. Fear not, we’re simply tackling your tootsies today with my tips for an easy (and budget friendly) DIY manicure that will look as good as any salon trip, with a little effort.
First up, get your equipment together. You will need:
Somewhere to soak your feet, the bath is ideal but you could relocate to the sofa and use a washing up bowl!
- A coarse body scrub and/or exfoliating gloves.
- Nail varnish remover (if necessary).
- Nail clippers, cuticle stick and nail file.
- Moisturiser (and cuticle oil if you have it).
- Nail base coat, polish and top coat.
- First off remove any polish you are wearing and soak your feet in warm water with a splash of your favourite bath product.
- Using either a decent dollop of scrub, or wearing the exfoliating mitts, scrub your feet all over, focusing on area’s of hard skin such as the heel, and around the nails.
- Rinse, towel dry and cut your nails whilst soft.
- Clean under the nail and apply moisturiser to the whole foot.
- Apply cuticle oil if you have it (moisturiser will do) and proceed to gently push the cuticles back.
- This next step is amongst the most important for results – filing the nail makes the pedicure appear professional as your nails get a lovely neat and tidy shape so spend some time on this, creating a nice square nail and smoothing the corners.
- Dry the nails themselves with a damp towel and paint them. Set some time aside and do a proper job starting with base coat, then 2 coats of colour and seal with a top coat. Allow to dry properly so you don’t smudge the nail.
- For extra dry feet (and only if you are sure the colour is dry), apply a thick layer of moisturiser and pop some socks on overnight for super smooth feet.
And voila! You’re ready for summer!