Good Morning readers! And a very Happy Friday to you.
This morning I wanted to be a bit nostalgic and share something that I haven’t made in years, but used to make as a child (at Brownies I think?) and just love. They make perfect presents – imagine how many Domestic Goddess points you’d get on the spot for turning up at a party with a homemade thank you gift of these wrapped up beautifully, or a refreshing sweet mouthful on Christmas Day while watching the Downton Christmas special.
What am I waffling on about? Peppermint creams!
250g icing sugar
30ml double cream
½ an egg white
green food colouring (optional)
200g dark chocolate, melted (optional – or you could decorate with tinted white chocolate like in the picture above .)
- Mix all the ingredients except the chocolate, to a stiff paste, adding the essence and colour in drips until you have a flavour and colour you like. Roll the paste into a sausage about 4cm across and cut it into thick slices. Neaten into smooth, even discs and dry on a sheet of baking parchment, or roll into a sheet, cut neat fingers and dry.
- Dip half of each cream into the chocolate and leave to set on the paper. Double dip if you have time. Decorate if you like.
Now when I was researching this post and looking for a good recipe (which, but the way, I’ll be trying out for my Christmas drinks party this weekend) I couldn’t help but fall in love with an array of other peppermint goodies. Some of them look delicious and some of them just look too outright festive to ignore, but either way, here’s a little round up.
- Like a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha? How about the cupcake version?
- Peppermint liquor for adding to festive hot chocolate drinks or sipping neat while Grandma has her sherry.
- Hello festive red and whites… peppermint chocolate dipped meringues.
- More chocolate that would make a great gift… peppermint crisps.
- Peppermint brownies. Yum.
So, have I whetted your appetite for a bit of refreshing peppermint amongst the Christmas excess or are you one of the people (my best friend included) who actually don’t like mint flavours?
Happy Friday folks,