I’ve been waiting to blog this recipe all summer. Unfortunately as the weather has been so unpredictable there just hasn’t been an opportune time to share, as it’s a recipe you’ll call on time and time again in warmer weather. Just this week however I was digging up the potatoes from the allotment and had lots of small ones so it reminded me to get it blogged in the lovely mild weather we’re having. It works as well for a BBQ – as we had it on this occasion (and perfectly with steak or Barbequed chicken,) as it does midweek and is ridiculously easy for delicious results. Plus it’s always one of those dishes that gets compliments. Who doesn’t need another one of those in their repertoire?!
A bag of new potatoes (I used standard ones here and chopped them but new potatoes are a little prettier!)
A red onion
Capers (in a jar)
A jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil
Your preferred Salad leaf – watercress or spinach is good but whatever you prefer will work.
- First up, put your pan of new potatoes onto boil.
- In the meantime, chop up your red onion however you prefer, diced or halved then sliced. Add it to a pan with a generous lug of the oil your tomatoes are in and start to sweat down the onion.
- As the onion gets softer add a couple of tables spoons of sun-dried tomatoes, halved, and a couple of tablespoons of drained capers. Finish with a slug of balsamic vinegar to taste.
- Keep this on a low heat and reduce it all to a soft caramelised combination of the ingredients then remove from the heat.
- When your Potatoes are done, remove from the heat, drain and add to the pan with your reduction. (I did this at the table for the purposes of the photographs but it’s easier in a pan.)
- You now have two choices. If you are ready to serve the dish, add your leaves whilst the potatoes and dressing are warm (but not hot,) and toss. The leaves will wilt slightly and you want to coat the potatoes and leaves with the oil and reduced onion, tomato and caper mix. If on the other hand you are not ready to serve, the whole thing is just as good cold, just toss it all together when you are ready.
Voila – the most delicious and easy dish and the modern way to do potato salad