Winter is slowly approaching and I don’t know about you, but the can’t-make-up-its-mind weather flashing from mild to chilly with winds, the return of central heating and cosy evenings under a blanket are all playing havoc with my lips.
I am a total lip balm addict, and I say that not alluding to the rubbish brands that seem to make you want to re-apply every five minutes, but with reference to the fact that I have enough of them to keep one in every regularly occupied room of the house. I have several on the go in each handbag I’m using and apply religiously day and night. So I don’t mind considering myself something of an expert!
I thought that if I am suffering then now would be a good time to share my favourite balms and a few famous faces, then ask for your recommendations to keep your lips super soft all winter…
1. Original Chapstick. The original and the best, this isn’t just cheap and cheerful but has a slightly medicinal smell guaranteed to transport you back to childhood memories. Ideal for a quick lunchtime purchase on those days you’ve left yours at home.
2. Bobbi Brown’s Lip Balm. The Queen of base also does, in my humble opinion, the absolute best lip balm out there. apply it at bed time and not only will your lips be perfect come morning, but they will still have the balm on them, it’s that good.
3. Eve Lom Kiss Mix. For a bit of posh for your pout, this is minty fresh and another ‘super soft’ balm that I hope to find in each years Christmas stocking.
4. Lush Honey Trap lip balm. Because I love honey, it smells amazing and again, really works.
5. Burt’s Bees Honey balm – Another honey balm, in a stick this time.
6. Philosophy Kiss Me lip balm. Alos available in clear or original, this comes in tinted formulations too, smells good and has the right moisturising but non-sticky consistency.
7. Smiths Minted Rose lip balm. An iconic brand and with a gorgeous range of designs, this one gets extra style points when you have to touch up at the table.
8. Korres Lip Butter. A recent find of mine, these are lovely and moisturising but also quite densely pigmented offering some fast colour for your lips. I’ve got the corally Quince for summer and rose pink Pomegranate for winter.
You might be wondering why I haven’t included the legendary Vaseline tins but I’ve got to just come out and say it… I don’t rate it. Vaseline just slides off my lips and leaves them drier than before after I’ve slid it around all over my face and I think it belongs in the self-perpetuating camp that cause the need for ongoing reapplication. Feel free to object in the comments box though!
In case you haven’t guessed, it’s Bobbi Brown’s Lip Balm that gets Florence’s gold star for being the best I’ve ever found.
So now it’s your turn. Can you recommend any of these or have I missed something you rely on in the winter months. Drop me a comment below and share your favourite