There were some murmurings on Twitter recently about work appropriate shoes for summer and it can’t be only me who has been feeling stifled in shoes during these warmer days.
I’m in the market myself for some smarter sandals that are work appropriate so thought I’d have a look for some options – the bonus is that many of these are in the sale or will soon go in, so there are bargains to be had!
Obviously, ‘work appropriate’ is a relative term and really depends on your place of work. I am lucky enough to be pretty flexible about what I wear but I appreciate some offices may be much more formal and other places more accepting of trend led styles.
Tips for keeping it work appropriate:
- Check your work policy about open toed shoes
- Choose Tan for a classic look that goes with your whole wardrobe or modern neutrals (white/nude/khaki/navy/animal print/metallics)
- A low wedge can look smarter than the same shoe when flat soled.
- Done right, a block colour can lift a conservative outfit and not look casual.
- Look for good foot coverage – i.e. wider straps and formal details for fastening
- Avoid ‘thong’ or flip flop toe post styles
- Unless you work in a high fashion environment, avoid ‘flatforms’.
- Avoid woven or punched leather and canvas finishes.
Dawn orange suedette flat £45 (also available in white) // GAP two band tan leather sandal £29.95 (also in black) // Kurt Geiger London Dahlia gold sandals £99 (also in nude or leopard calf hair) // Flexi-P calf hair blue sandal, Steve Madden at Dune £32 (also in B&W animal print)
Flats this season are all about the wide strap which is lucky as it’s a little more office appropriate if you are allowed to get your toes out. Metal plaque details also up the smart factor.
Maximilla navy low wedge Nine West £99 (also in white, black and nude) // Baylee6 gold low heel court, Anne Klein at Kurt Geiger £65 // Amber blue suede low wedge, Carvela £65
If you feel better with a little lift, but can’t face a proper heel, the mid or low heel is also bang on trend and wedges work really well for summer. Peep toes are perfect for a bit of cooling ventilation too.
GAP tan wedge £45 // Silver wide strap heels, Office £60 // Unice leather wedge heel, French Connection £95 // Gia buckle heel navy shoe, Whistles £185
For higher heels, look for a block heel or wedge and again those wide straps to kept the look fresh and modern, although I take my hat off to anyone with the patience to wear a pair like this to work when it’s hot!
Have you seen any work summer shoes readers?